According to 18 puranas (main 18 hindu scripture for everything). The shaligram glory is found briefy along with its puja procedures and its varity names and identification.
Shaligram is Direct Symbol of Lord Vishnu. Lord vishnu take his incarnation (avatar) according to time and period. Following the satya,treta,dwapar and kaliyuga to protect his true devotees. So shaligram are worshipped in varity form of lord vishnu as well. Fo example ,krishna shaligram,Rama shaligram,laxmi narayan shaligram etc are varity types of shaligram. There are more than 108 types of shaligram. whose information is found on our Site.
Shaligram are only found in gandaki river,muktinath Nepal. Shaligram have natural emblem,which are known as Chakra. And those who worship shaligram which have chakra on it are very blessful person in this world. And shaligram are also found in round shape . They are very auspicious because they are form of lord krishna (laddu gopal).
Shaligram are found with chakra or without chakra, round or oval or flat shape. Shaligram are found in varity color.. But most auspicious color of shaligram is black color shaligram. And after it white,blue,green etc. RED color shaligram is prohibited (not allowed) to worship in house.
Very big shaligram is worshipped in temple only. But temple can keep small and medium size shaligram also. Where as for house,medium and small shaligram worship is best.
Importance Of Shaligram.
1) Shaligram worship pleases lord vishnu,kul devta,ista devta and laxmi narayan.
2) Shaligram worship pleases Maha laxmi (Goddess of wealth), Maha Durga (Goddess of power/protector) and Maha Saraswati (Goddess of knowledge).
3) Those who worship shaligram in house and bath shaligram every day with water or milk. And offer the food (naivedam) every day are great devotees in this entire world. These house have blessing of Annapurna mata. The 100 birth sin of these great devotees is washed. And finally attain Vishnu loka.
4) Worship of shaligram provide four important values in their life ,1) Kam (working value), 2) bhakti (religious value), 3) Artha (money value), 4) Moksha (salvation or free from birth).
5) While worshipping Shaligram, Tulsi leaves is very much favourite to lord Vishnu. So if tulsi leaves is available. We must offer to shaligram. And must to prayer to lord shaligram.
6) All god vishnu,shiva,durga,ganesh etc are happy to great devottes those who worship shaligram and Rudraksha beads in house.